In the 1940’s a township was established on the farms Driefontein and Rietfontein by S.A. Townships under the chairmanship, Sir Abe Bailey, who had his London home in Bryanston Square – hence the name “Bryanston”.
Thousands of soldiers returned to their homes after World War II, many to their young families – most of whom had never seen their fathers. Despite the comments often heard that Bryanston was just too far from the “big city”, more homes were built when the Government lifted controls and in the 1950s a building boom occurred with homes having properties ranging in size from one to five acres.
A country club, post office, library and shops sprang up … but no school. In the neighbourhood was a Mrs Margaret Joubert, who had started up a school in the double garage of her home in Eccleston Crescent and catered for close to sixty pupils.
Mr WR Hedding became convinced that a school was required for the growing numbers but failed to convince the Provincial Administration of this necessity. Being a man of vision and determination however, he continued with his plan and persuaded S.A. Townships to erect a building on a site which he chose to be operational by 1954.
Mrs Joubert closed her school and moved to Bryanston Primary as one of the first teachers with at least twenty or thirty of her pupils, who were ready for “big” school. Mrs. Tresize took over her pre-school pupils. In 1954, the school opened under Mr. Davies, a retired Principal appointed in a temporary capacity for one year in accordance with Departmental Policy, and he faced an unexpected enrolment of 106 pupils.
S.A. Townships made unsecured interest-free loans which enabled the school to take advantage of the pound (rand)-for-pound loans offered by the Transvaal Education Department.
When it was realised that the number of pupils in the second year would far exceed expectations, the Administrator of the Transvaal, Dr Nicol, arranged for the site to be transferred back to the Province.
The Hoopoe, often seen in the grounds, formed the school badge and a grey and blue uniform was introduced. The first school magazine was published in 1955. Impala (blue), Protea (green) and Hoopoe (red) became the first three houses with Cobra (yellow) being added in 1958 due to the enrolment having reached 1000 learners.
Today we boast of magnificent gardens and facilities normally only seen in private institutions and our classrooms have state of the art equipment.